Monday 16 February 2009

Is spring coming?

They say it will come.... It's doesn't feel like spring is coming though.... BUT the snowdrops are starting to flower here and for that reason I wanted to show you this little drop:

Snowdrop / Sneeuwklokje

I made this one a couple of years ago and it was a difficult drawing because it's white. White is always difficult. It was the first in a series of flowering bulb drawings (still working on it btw). This is made on Bristol paper (I don't work on Bristol anymore, but back then I only used Bristol paper).

Just a quick update on the Alder drawing:

Alder progress

Not finished yet, but I'm getting there. It is such a difficult subject. It has so many different directions, shapes and textures. I hope to finish it this week.

1 comment:

Sharon Ives said...

Hi, I was randomly looking for drawings and paintings of Alder and came across this - I love it.
I am curious as to whether you've worked on it any more, or even finished it?
I am studying the Alder for my Diploma in Botanical Illustration which I'm taking at the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh, and I'd really be interested to hear how you found drawing this. I'm curious as to how our experiences compare.
Great work, thankyou for sharing it.